Specsavers’ new digital marketing apprenticeship

Posted on October 15, 2018
Author: Lifeatspecsavers

As the largest private employer in Guernsey, Specsavers offers many career opportunities for A-Level school leavers, which gives young islanders the opportunity to earn as they learn. This year, Specsavers joined up with leading UK apprentice provider QA to offer a brand-new digital marketing programme on the Island of Guernsey. 

The apprenticeship programme combines high-quality classroom training with online learning, coaching and on-the-job experience. Those who join the programme are recruited on a permanent basis and begin studying towards a Level 3 Diploma in Digital Marketing within the first three months of joining Specsavers. They then study towards a bachelor’s degree in digital marketing, with the aim of graduating in four to five years.

Digital optimisation manager at Specsavers, Luke Norman, said there was a need to develop more local talent within this growing industry.

‘Digital Marketing’s development since the 1990s has changed the way brands and businesses use technology for marketing of products or services. As digital platforms are increasingly incorporated into marketing plans and everyday life, and as people use digital devices instead of visiting physical shops, digital marketing campaigns are becoming more prevalent and efficient. Our apprenticeship programme is a fantastic opportunity to work towards a degree here in Guernsey while also progressing your career within this developing sector.’

Charlee-Mai McKane and Ruby Windsor, both 18, are the first two islanders to be enrolled on the programme after leaving school earlier this year.

‘The apprenticeship has offered me a manageable programme which allows me to work full-time in Guernsey as well as receiving the university experience completely debt free,’ Charlee said

‘The experience has been fantastic so far, everybody within my team and even people beyond my department have been so welcoming and inclusive. I can’t wait to continue my journey’

Ruby loved all aspects of media studies at sixth form and the thought of continuing her studies in digital marketing, as well as earning at the same time, just seemed too good to be true.

‘I still can’t get over what an incredible opportunity it is, especially in Guernsey,’ Ruby said. ‘So far, I love it and the days are absolutely flying by, there is so much to learn, and I can’t wait.’

As part of the apprenticeship, candidates spend approximately 15% of their time training at the QA learning centre in Reading, with the remaining 85% being completed at Specsavers support office at La Villiaze. They receive one-to-one mentoring, as well as form part of a team of marketing professionals who support with learning. A QA assessor is also assigned to each apprentice, who guides and supports them through each unit.

Specsavers is currently on the lookout for more applicants to apply for their Apprenticeship Intake (September 2019).

Find out more information here